Hi everyone, hope you guys are taking care of yourself. Meanwhile, I’m not really in a great mood today, as there were some conflicts at work, well that’s what happen when you got to deal with humans right? Pretty normal, I guess.
Anyway, I still wanted to write a post about the experience I had today, and it did take me sometime to realized that there was something in between the user’s laptops/desktop and Active Directory that was causing the script unable to ran. Anyway, the environment did not have anyone who is technical but is still not easy to troubleshoot a problem when non-technical users only give you less than an hour to find out what is the problem. Luckily, I did meet someone who knows well enough the infrastructure of the environment….
I understand that the politics are so strong between parent companies and branches, but we all have a life to move on, so politics are just excuses to delay tasks or projects to complete. We are all being paid to do tasks, not to spend 8 working hours to gossip and drill down other’s conflicts.
So, enough of chit chat corporate news.
I realized that deploying logon batch file script via Group Policy Object wasn’t working (The script is located the SYSLOG\LOGON folder and FQDN domain name\NETLOGON folder), same goes with AD’s user object’s profile > Logon Script (The batch script is located in the FQDN domain name\NETLOGON folder) and using the Driver mapping feature inside GPO too.
I thought at first it could be my scripting issue but somehow double clicking the batch file script directly onto the user’s device it works. So, I started to think what could be in between the user’s device and active directory. Is it firewall? Is it Microsoft Defender? After clicking the user’s device network settings and realized they have Zscaler product installed.
Zscaler Proxy, where there were policy preventing any remote script running on user’s device. This logon script was to map share drive automatically on the user’s device. During their first practice of how to map drive was to manually map them on their own.
Well, Zscaler was beyond my scope. I don’t have the rights to request the environment to whitelist a script. I can only find out and advise them whether they still want it.
In the end, they told me to just leave the script as a backup for the user.
If you try to search for an answer, there won’t have any on the internet. It was all based on your troubleshooting skillset.